Sunday, February 6, 2011

When you can't focus for more than twenty seconds.

Usually when I start writing a blog post, I have a story in mind and can type it out in under twenty minutes.  Then I proof read the post and make additions or corrections as needed and voila (or viola if you belong to a certain side of my family!), I have fulfilled my posting quota for the week.  The time I spend writing is one of the very few times in my week where I can remain completely focused on only one task.  And that may have something to do with the fact that even though I am technically only working on one task, I have to keep reaching to other parts of my brain to pull out synonyms for basic words so it sounds like I am intelligent, humorous quips to keep the story mildly interesting and not seem like endless drivel about my life, and maintaining a constant edit on the story so everything flows together properly.  However, over the last week I seemed to have lost all ability to piece together a single story.  I had a great topic to write about last week regarding ridiculous things people have told me.  By mid-week I had an incredibly inspiring story about how great my new church family is.  Last night I had a great topic about how I had a great Saturday night, even though if I had asked a stranger to guess my age just by hearing what made me evening complete, they would have said I was 50.

So why have I been so unfocused these last few days?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Personally, I think  I have been letting myself daydream too much. Letting my mind wander is a good way to relax, but then it runs off and it takes me forever to get myself back in the groove of focusing on reality.  So with my unfocused mindset today, I have little more to offer than a potpourri of thoughts, highlights of the past week if you will.  All of them could have been great stories in and of themselves, but my attention span to the story was limited to about a paragraph's worth each and every time I tried to write a post. Enjoy!

I surprised myself Wednesday in three ways: 1.) I went to my church's prayer service, and enjoyed it.  2.) I walked up to the first person I saw, introduced myself, and asked her what to expect for the evening.  Strangely, I was completely comfortable doing that.  3.) As I was leaving, I ran into a woman that I have known for three weeks and said "hi" to just as many times.  She offered to take me to an authentic Greek restaurant for lunch later in the week.  I agreed, I ate Greek food with a relative stranger, and had a great time.

I filed my taxes this week.  While this is one of those "certainties" of life that we all deal with, the sad part was the fact that I had a great time doing them and actually read all of the specific instructions for each line, mostly for fun.

There is no radio station in Charleston devoted to my favorite music genre, which is a terrible sin and probably why God has been smiting us with ice storms and freakishly cold weather here in the Lowcountry.  So, rather than accept this terrible fate, I found Pandora, created an account and set up a station devoted to my favorite music.  Now I can sing along to the likes of The Turtles, Three Dog Night, and The Dave Clark Five at all hours of the day.  That's right people, I proudly listen to oldies even though most of the songs were written 10-20 years prior to my birth!

I have decided that I am going to have a career as a writer someday soon and buy a home on Sullivan's Island.  Never mind the fact that I have only recently begun my career as a nutritionist (for which I spent four years training!) and "making it" as a writer is a hard road to follow. Also never mind the fact that I give a huge portion of my first paycheck of the month to pay for rent, which is one of the lowest rates for a nicer apartment in this area while an abode on Sullivan's Island typically averages in the $700,000 range, and is significantly more if you want to live on the coast.

I questioned the sanity of mankind as I sat and listened to a conversation about having a child under the "new" astrological signs.  Forget the fighting in Egypt, how it is affecting Egyptians and the possible implications for the rest of the world.  Forget the fact that Medicaid is under some serious cutbacks here in SC and a lot of people who will lose out have no idea what is going on and have no support system to help them deal with this.  Yep, it is so much more fun to figure out what sign your child will be born under so you can know ahead of time how much trouble they're going to bring to your life.  By the way, upon an investigation lasting thirty seconds and involving the reading of one Yahoo! Answers question, I will apparently forever be in combat with my former self and I am going to have terrific mood swings for the rest of my life, seeing as how my "old" sign and my "new" sign don't like each other.  This is all according to El Crispador, the user providing the "best answer" for that particular question.

Well, I just now realized that I have spent the last hour or so staring at a tree at the end of my building, wondering how long I would have to sit here before I noticed any considerable growth coming from the buds on the branches.  That was after I looked through several funny Scrubs videos all because I wanted to post just one on my mom's Facebook page and before I noticed how dirty my laptop is and started contemplating when and how I should clean it.  There is little hope for my ability to concentrate for the rest of today.

Have a wonderful night, enjoy the Super Bowl ( I just now remembered it was today!) and have a good time making fun of The Black-Eyed Peas halftime show.  I am heading out to a thrift store, followed by my trip to the laundromat, which I am actually eagerly anticipating!

1 comment:

  1. I will kick in a few bucks towards the house on Sullivan's Island. On the coast. You know which one I mean!

    ReplyDelete