Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's all downhill from here...

Right now I am sitting in my mushroom chair on my patio, laptop on my lap, feet propped up, writing away.  It's in the mid fifties, but with the sun shining directly on me I am very content in my t-shirt and capris.  My contentment is complete as I gaze across the...well, the parking lot and the cigarette butts that my neighbor so lovingly throws over his patio railing.  At least this time he didn't let them fall through the cracks of his patio onto my head.  Never mind that, let's focus on the maple tree that is budding like crazy and the cute little chickadees that are perched in its branches. This is my Sunday afternoon almost every week and I love it.  On the day set aside by most of the Western world as a day to rest, rest is exactly what I do and I enjoy every minute of it. But as I sit here, basking in the glow of the here and now, I can't help but let my pessimistic side shine through (well, only for the purposes of this story) and think about how it's all downhill from here.  What do I mean? Well, consider the rest of my week from here!

Monday: I get up at 6:00 a.m.  I am EXCITED to be up and starting a new week, one where I KNOW I will complete everything on my to-do list and life will be oh so rosy.  The dog and I go for a walk and then after we get back I head to the apartment's mini-gym for a little while.  I get ready for work, pack my lunch and head off to a wonderful day.  I have enough energy to be perky and get really involved with all my client's cases and I go out of my way to take some of my other co-worker's work load so that all the clients can be seen in a timely manner.  After work, the dog goes for another walk and then we both return to eat our dinners. Mine is always some homemade treat I prepared on the prior Saturday and froze so I would have a convenient meal available.  At this point, I am proud of myself.  With all of my super energy, I start cleaning the apartment.  About an hour before bed I finish cleaning, I get my lunch and clothes ready for the next day.  I head to bed with a book and read for about an hour before I drift off to sleep.  I am proud of my accomplishments for the day.

Tuesday: I get up at 6:00 a.m.  I sigh heavily as I stretch and get ready for my morning walk with the dog.  We walk, then I exercise.  He eats while I prepare for work.  I eat my breakfast, but decide that I don't feel like cleaning the dishes before I leave, so they sit in the sink until I return.  I head to work, arriving on time.  I get my water bottle and client roster sheets ready and then sit at my desk, scrolling through my new e-mail with mild disinterest.  By the time my first client makes it through, I'm bored and ready to get started. I don't make it a point to seek out extra work, but will occasionally pick up an extra chart as I see fit.  I spend my lunch hour reading, trying to learn more about whatever topic is interesting to me at the moment.  By five I am ready to go, so I take off as soon as I have double-checked all of my work for the day. Once I get home, the dog and I walk again, I eat a quick dinner and straighten up the apartment before heading off to Genesis, a college/career age get-together/worship service in North Charleston.  When I get home, I set up everything for Wednesday, watch Castle, and then head off to bed. I read only for about a half hour tonight.  I am sleepy.

Wednesday: I get up at 6:00 a.m.  And re-set the alarm for 6:30.  The dog and I go for a walk and then I get ready for work.  I move slower than a turtle most mornings, and Wednesdays are even worse.  By the time I have to leave, my breakfast is in Tupperware containers so I can eat it when I get to work.  I teach class on Wednesday, so I run around like a crazy person, trying to make sure everything goes off without a hitch (which it almost never does!)  I spend the morning explaining the virtues of waiting to start jar foods or encouraging people to use whole grain products.  Normally I eat lunch in the office, but on Wednesday I sit in my car, enjoying the radio and people watching. I almost always drag myself back to lunch a little late, since I know I have forty-five minutes to kill after I get back.  I get through the rest of the day and then head home after I talk to my favorite receptionist for a little bit.  I feed the dog, hurry him through the walk and speed off to church.  After church I come home and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.  I usually try to write a little each day, but by Wednesday I count updating my Facebook status as meeting my writing goal.

Thursday: How did it get to be 7:00? Hurry up dog, I don't have all day! Quick shower, half dry my hair, pack lunch and grab an apple for a breakfast of champions.  Take a look at my schedule and groan at the number of clients.  Groan as each client comes through with either a 1.)Low iron score.  2.) Diet that includes choking hazards.  3.) Daily of intake of sweet tea that is so high I have no clue how sugar and tea isn't seeping out through their pores.  I shut the door to my office and turn off the light when I eat lunch so it looks like I'm not there just so that no one bugs me.  I get through the rest of the day as quickly as I can and run out the door around 5:00.  If I was nice, I may have picked up a chart from my co-workers schedule, but usually not. I head home and half-heartedly walk the dog.  I eat cereal for dinner because everything else takes too long to prepare. I take a look at my budget for the week and pay the bills.  At that point, it's 8:00 and sounding like a great time to go to sleep.  Who cares if it would be a good idea to vacuum the floor?  Who cares if all my dishes are piled up around the sink? Not me!

Friday: I sit in bed, arguing with myself about when I really NEED to get up and if I really NEED to wash my hair. (The answer to that question is always yes. I look like I washed my hair in grease if I don't!!) The dog whines at me until I start moving.  Again, I move like a turtle until it's time to leave.  I never have a lunch packed and the only reason I'm dressed and ready to go is because I get to dress in jeans and just about everything in my wardrobe goes well with jeans.  If I had to coordinate with a pair of my dress slacks, there's no way I'd ever be able to make it to work in time.  When I get to work, there is always someone who is "sick" and needs to take a day off.  I think it's very convenient to be "sick" when it's seventy and sunny, but then again, I'm just a grinch! I spend the rest of the day talking to myself (a side effect of being stressed out by picking up another co-workers schedule in addition to mine.) and lunch is usually drastically shortened, resulting in a trip to the Subway across the street.  Each week I promise myself I'll give up Subway for Lent.  I make it to the end of the day with no less than four special formula changes that are incorrectly prescribed, resulting in games of phone tag with the doctor's office staff. This is in addition to the parents who are standing at the door telling me, "You HAVE to fix it.  Otherwise I won't have formula and my baby will go hungry."  Yeah.  Fun times at my job!  Normally I double check all of my work, but on Fridays I shut everything down at 5:00 p.m. and leave before anything else comes up.  I head to the grocery store and walk through the aisles zombie-style, picking up food for the next week.  Remember those dinners I made the week before?  They come in handy at this point.  Without them I'd never eat on Fridays. Any effort more than hitting two buttons to start a microwave would just be too much!  After dinner I sit at the table in a comatose fashion, catching up on my favorite comedies on Hulu.  I never pay attention to when I go to bed on Fridays, I just know that it's never very late.  Oh well.  I am an adult, and I can do whatever I want now!!!

Saturday: Ok, it's not fair to say that the entire week goes down hill after Sunday.  On Saturdays I wake up around 10:00, which is just wonderful, for everyone but the dog who is a little more than ready to be outside.  When I head out of my bedroom to the rest of the apartment, I am appalled at the lack of organization.  My shoes are all piled in front of the door, instead of in the shoe holder.  Papers from work are everywhere, as are the grocery bags from last night.  Somehow the dish situation has gotten out of control and they are now spread out all over the counter instead of in the dishwasher or the cabinet. I desperately need to vacuum the floors and the trash should have been taken out last night. If anyone came over to my apartment right now I would be mortified.  But you know what? Saturdays are for fun.  I eat brunch, watch Hulu, take a nap, shop or go to the park, eat dinner, and have a good old time watching movies, talking with friends or writing in the evenings.  I guess my week is more like a fun roller coaster!

Well, as much as I love writing and as much as I love basking in the sun, it is time for my other Sunday afternoon task: Laundry.  This isn't so bad either.  In addition to getting my clothes all clean, it's a great way to meet interesting people as someone always wants to talk.  Last week I ended up watching the first half of the Super Bowl while I was waiting for my clothes.  Watching the game with me was the elderly Korean lady who owns the place and a man from Lebanon.  We had a great time.  The lady knew what all the penalties meant, the man from Lebanon knew what "forward progress" meant and explained it to us a few times, I had the downs and yardage figured out, and between the three of us we made sense of the game.  We also had a great discussion about the commercials.

As always, have a great evening and remember- The only thing more obnoxious than a dog who is hungry is a dog that has to go outside NOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment