Sunday, February 20, 2011

I was NOT prepared for this!

Wikipedia is both a blessing and a bane to society.  On the one hand, whenever I HAVE to find out who that actor was in that movie- Wikipedia is my best friend. On the other hand, somewhere on one of my friend's Facebook page is photo evidence that proves that you can edit just about any information you want, making Wikipedia a less than completely reliable source.  Ultimately, I guess Wikipedia is a great way to get a general sense of what is going on but it doesn't give the entire in-depth picture.

Now, any person with a brain cell is going to do at least some research when they move to a new area,  even if it's just to find the cheapest apartment or the most hip new night club.  I did a LOT of research into the area when I came here. I wanted to find the best area to live, the most affordable place to live, the best beach to visit, the best whatever.  I've been down here for almost five months now, and over the last month I have just started to get to the point where I am settled in enough to begin to slowing down a little bit and "enjoying the scenery," as it were.  But as I begin to notice all the little things, I am starting to feel like I only know the "Wikipedia version" of my new hometown.  I know all of the important things, but I didn't know the in-depth details (aka, how it affects me!)

For example, I knew Charleston, South Carolina is one humid place.  I've heard about it, I've experienced it, and I'm anticipating it for the coming summer. I did not know that it would be nearly impossible to keep my normally straight hair from going completely out of control every time it is warm and humid (This last week has been really fun for me, hair wise...)

I knew the Charleston, SC area is called the Lowcountry because it is just about at sea level.  I did not know that most of the Lowcountry area is basically a lot of swamp land that smells like...I'll just say sulfur. On the plus side, it only smells when it's warm, which is only 10 months out of the year.

I knew that according to stereotypes, people in the South drink sweet tea.  I did not know that people drink it like it's water.

I knew that South Carolina is in the "Stroke Belt" because typical, traditional foods here are ones that can increase our risk of physical ailments.  I did not know that the main food groups here, for natives anyways, include "Fried Meat, Fatty Meat that we can Fry Later, Vegetables we Can Fry, Key Lime Pie, and Sweet Tea."  I exaggerate, a little, and I will admit that people down here have some awesome food, but it still amazes me.  At Christmas, they had aisles of the store devoted to cooking oil.

I knew that Southerners are viewed as being friendlier than other parts of the country.  I did not know that this meant people would randomly stop and talk with you wherever you go.  It's quite fun.

I knew that region to region, there are distinct accents within the United States.  I did not know that mine was so easily detected by others. (I don't understand how they knew! I don't have an accent!)

I know that it is past dinner time, but it is time to be done writing and time to start cooking my dinner.    So, as with every Sunday, enjoy your evening, enjoy the day off tomorrow if you are so lucky, and ask yourself this question: If you were Kate Homonai, what professional sounding name would you give to your new copy writing business? (Then let me know...)

No comments:

Post a Comment