Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ruler of all I Survey

There are a few reasons that I like my upstairs apartment. I like that I have a large bedroom, a living room, AND room for an office; I actually enjoy the fact that I have to run up and down stairs whenever I come or go, but most of all I enjoy the fact that I have a bird's eye view of everything.

Now, don't get the impression that I'm looking over anything particularly grand. In fact, to my south is a Speedway station. Out of my office window, I see the red glare of the sign every night around eight o'clock. That's not particularly appealing, but when I get writer's block it provides a level of people watching that is unmatched. Logan sits at the edge of two state parks, so there is a lot of out-of-town travel in the area. Simply by watching the way the customers walk in and out of the store I can tell who is local and who is a tourist. Most of the time I can tell the difference by waiting to see if they stop in the middle of the parking lot to talk to a friend they saw walking out of the store. It happens more than you'd think.

To my east is another set of upstairs apartments. In my apartment, there seems to be little to no rhyme or reason when it comes to which windows have blinds and curtains, and which ones have only a valance. When it comes to the living room, every window has either blinds or curtains except the window that faces due east. You know, the window that lets the strongest sunbeam in every morning; and the window that lets my neighbor who lives across the street a clear view into my apartment. I put my tall plant in that window.

Out my bathroom window, I can see the top of downtown Logan. Surprisingly, there are a lot of three and four story tall buildings for such a small town. I'm guessing most of them were built in Logan's heyday. The courthouse is one such building, and it has a flag post situated on it's top. I like being able to see this flag, because I can always tell which way the wind's blowing. It's a little thing, but it's nice to know which windows I should shut before it rains!

I think I mentioned that Logan sits at the edge of two state parks. This, in addition to the fact that Southeastern Ohio is heavily forested anyways, means that beyond all the "stuff" in the way, I get to look out at a gorgeous landscape each and every day. Every night since I moved in, I've been able to watch the last fading sunbeams set the western sky and the rooftops of all the houses in between aglow in a rich, gold light.

The apartment's not perfect, and I always imagined myself in a more rural setting rather than just above a busy city street, but I can tell that spending this chapter of my life in this apartment will be quite an enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment