Sunday, June 3, 2012

Trail

Trail- noun- a marked or beaten path, as through woods or wilderness.

All I want to do is take a nice, long walk on a nature trail.  I want to climb over tree roots, maneuver around ancient trees, listen to wind rustling through the leaves, breathe in the clean air, and watch the birds fly around.

Maybe I'm looking forward to coming home just a little too much and am romanticizing all the things I miss about Ohio, but lately I've been really missing all of the trails I walked when I was home.

I miss how I can walk to that one corner of Hubbard Valley, turn, and then look out across the pond.  I like the fact that I can walk along a grassy lane, then traverse through some winding trails and end up by the little creek.  Oh, and if I have the right people with me, we roll down the sledding hill.

I miss walking at River Styx, walking the "wrong way" around the nature trail, only to immediately come up against that hill I hate.  When I get to the top of the hill, though, it's all worth it and everything is smooth sailing from there.  I miss looking for the creepy carp and counting the number of frogs I can scare as I walk around the pond.  Oh, and if we stopped to get ice cream from the little store first, it's heavenly.

There are a lot of beautiful parks here in SC, but they're not quite the same.  I think my favorite park has to be Rosebrock park.  It has long, winding trails through the woods, and a sign that says "Learn about the poisonous snakes in our park."  This is right before the part of the sign that talked about wearing long sleeves and long pants to help prevent against ticks.  Oh, and I don't get charged money to enter that park, unlike several other of the nicer parks in my area. But I think I'll hold off on visiting Rosebrock until the weather cools down and the snakes hibernate!

With all that said, you can be sure that I will be walking at one of these two places hopefully every day when I'm home in just a few short weeks.  Join me if you want, the more the merrier! Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment