Sunday, May 6, 2012

Paradise

Paradise- noun- a place of extreme beauty, happiness, or delight.

With a contented sigh, I stretched out as best I could.  Complete relaxation came quickly as my head rested in my intertwined hands and my legs crossed at my ankles.  I'd had a pretty decent day at work, my dinner was delicious, the dog and I had gone on a pleasant walk, and with tonight's bike ride I was beginning to notice the positive effects of daily cycling.  At this moment, I was relishing in the near perfection of the day and felt like I was floating on air.

As I stared up into the sky, I watched the moon transition from a mere shadow partly obscured by clouds to a bright shape that heralded the coming dusk.

The few wispy clouds that were making their way across the sky allowed me to see a "caramel-colored sunset sky."  Golden-brown in color, I couldn't believe I had never before seen clouds quite that color.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the breeze was picking up and I watched the American flag begin to wave ever so slightly.  I watched as that same breeze moved the trees from their staunch position and caused the branches to sway ever so rhythmically.  

By now the clouds had moved on to the east, leaving nothing but clear blue sky above me.  It made for a striking backdrop as a flock of pure white seabirds flew overhead.

I closed my eyes again and relished the moment.  With a deep breath I took in the slight scent of the privet hedge blossoms, a not-too-distant barbecue, the blooming magnolias, and just a whiff of chlorine from the pool.

Yes, floating in the pool that evening proved to be wonderful.  But the best moment of the night came as a small voice from behind caused me to stir from my trance:  "Mommy, why do I have to go?"  "Because it's almost bedtime sweetie."  "But if I have to go to bed, why doesn't she?!"  I never heard the mom's reply because I was chuckling quite a bit as I thought to myself, "Because I'm an adult and I don't have to go inside and go to bed until I want to!" That moment felt like a childhood wish had been fulfilled and it made my night.  Pure delight and happiness right there.

Well, it is just about time to head out to the pool again.  Such a hard life I lead, I know.  Have a fun, safe, and happy week everyone, and join me in enjoying the fact that a full moon happened over the weekend, and not while I was in clinic with my clients.





No comments:

Post a Comment