Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quiet Sundays

It's been a long week, to say the least.  Last Sunday was an absolute nightmare.  I set off for South Carolina bright and early, and then spent 6 hours driving the most boring stretch of road ever.  The last 5 hours were spent driving through ridiculously busy traffic.  From the West Virginia/Virginia border all the way to Martins Creek, it seemed I was in the middle of bumper-to-bumper traffic.  By the time I hit Charlotte I wanted to pull over and just cry because I was being cut off, tailgated, and trying to stay focused on the road while making sure that Barbie, talking on her cell phone, wasn't going to drift into my lane with her Jeep.  Charlotte may be a large city, but giving the citizens of that city six lanes of highway was a major oversight on the part of some engineer.

The week at work was fun too.  I was late for work every day but Wednesday.  Monday, my car wouldn't start.  I think something's wrong with the key.  Friday, I lost ALL the keys to the car, but eventually found them in the middle of all the stuff I had brought home with me and had left sitting in the dining room. Tuesday and Thursday I just ran late.  Wednesday, when I did make it to work on time, I had to get Marie, one of our cleaning ladies, to let me enter through the treasurer's entrance and use all the back hallways to find the health department since the lady who opens the health department at 7:30 was on vacation but never appointed a replacement to open the clinic doors.

After spending a week and a half in beautiful Ohio, with it's fresh air and reasonable heat and humidity, I had a hard time adjusting back to 90+ and a "sea breeze" contributing to ridiculous heat indexes in the 110s to 120s.  One day, we had a heat warning.  Seriously?  That night, I ordered food in, because I didn't have any food in the house and I didn't feel like going to the grocery store until it was cool enough that I wouldn't be melting to the pavement on contact.

Yesterday was "catch up" day.  First, I caught up on sleep.  Then, I caught up on naps.  Finally, I caught up on being lazy and watching a few episodes each of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. By the end of the night, I was taking Benadryl to cope with the reaction I'm having to whatever poison plant I was exposed to in Ohio.  Fresh off a good night's sleep, I got up early, cleaned half the apartment, went to church, came home, cleaned the rest of the apartment, then went and did laundry. Work, work, work! That takes us to about three hours ago.

For all the nonsense of the last week, the last three hours have been blissful.  I made some really yummy chicken and potatoes for dinner, and I got to enjoy it while sitting on my freshly cleaned patio.  Once the mosquitoes came out and started bugging me, I came in and started watching the movie "Date Night."  I love that movie.  I mean really, it has Steve Carrel AND Tina Fey, what's not to like?  I even had Oreos and milk as a snack! I know it all sounds really lame, and really, it kind of is, but it was exactly what I needed: A few quiet hours to let me reclaim just a little bit of sanity.

Now, as always, we near the end of Sunday and my moment of bliss is over.  But...I think my neighbor just hit something (non -mammal) with his car, so now my neighbor the cop is walking over...maybe now it's time for entertainment!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment