Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Fever!

I will first ask your forgiveness for the following paragraphs.  They will border on bragging, but it's just too nice to not write about what's going on right now.

We went through a little bit of a cold spell last week.  It was down in the 50s and low 60s for highs.  I was comfortable, but it was quite humorous to hear everyone talking about the "last cold spell of the spring."  Even the lows weren't that low, but I still got yelled at for not wearing a coat.

I went out yesterday and bought plants for my patio.  I now have a hanging basket filled with a light orange Gerbera daisy, a "spiral grass" plant, and some draping, petite white flowers that attract the giant bees swarming around my patio.  I have a four-tier flower stand that is now filled with a combination of alyssum, petunias, snapdragons, and marigolds- which are supposed to help keep the mosquitoes at bay this summer. Combined with my new patio furniture, my patio looks pretty darn nice right now!

Right now it's about 77 degrees outside.  If you sit in the sun it is pretty warm, almost uncomfortable, but one step into the shade and it is perfect.  Currently I am sitting in my living room, watching the wind gently play with the blinds which are filtering the sunlight streaming in from the west.  The effect it creates is just about my idea of a perfect summer morning should look and feel like.  I am saving up to buy some sheer panels so I can hang them up and have an even "softer" look to the windows in the apartment.  Ahh...so pretty and relaxing!

With exception of the oak trees, I think just about every tree in the area is in the process of blooming or budding.  The pear trees looked like giant snowballs for a few weeks, and now their light green leaves are beginning to poke out.  The maples are just about ready to open their leaves I think.  I learned what a myrtle tree is and discovered a few blooming ones in the park.  The side effect of all these trees is the amount of pollen they produce.  My blue car is now a weird shade of pollen yellow that sometimes appears green if you look at it in the right light.  It is quite a sight!

All the birds are out early in the morning now. It is quite relaxing to wake up to robins, cardinals, chickadees, and mockingbirds singing their little hearts out.  The other day there were two white water birds of some kind, but they took off before I could get a better look at them.

Also out now are the little lizards and fire ants.  I love the lizards! They are not any bigger than my hand and they just sit and stare harmlessly at you until you scare them away.  Fire ants, I am not a fan of.  So far there aren't too many of their hills around, but I am adding them to the list of things I want to avoid while I live in South Carolina.  Also on that list is being stung by a bee and getting bit by a poisonous snake.

Well, this is all I can think to write about at this moment in time.  I also need to go out and plant some more flowers I bought at the dollar store today and take Cooper for a walk before he goes crazy.  I hope you don't hate me now! Enjoy, and send me updates about Ohio's spring if you care to! Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment