Saturday, November 20, 2010

They said, I said. Then and Now

Parents.  We all have them.   Mine are both pretty awesome.  I feel very blessed that I grew up with my Mom and Dad in a loving environment.  However, before I sing their praises too much and they get too proud of themselves, I want to share with you their flaw: They give advice.  For as long as I remember they kept trying to pass on their old, outdated notions to me like I didn't know what I was doing.  Ugh.  And the worst thing, they would almost always end their "helpful comments" with a statement like, "you'll thank me when you're older and out of the house."  Well, now that I am older (I am not grown up.  I am too young for that!) and on my own, allow me to prove them wrong once and for all.  Here are some of the absurd statements they have told me over the years, my response to them then, and how I'm doing now.

Then (Them): "Turn off the lights. When you're paying your own electricity bill, you'll thank us for telling you this."
Then (Me): "I left it on for the cat."
Now: When I'm out walking the dog at night or when I'm walking trash out to the dumpster I will kind of look around and notice that my bedroom light, the bedroom closet light, the bathroom light, the kitchen light, the hallway light, the two living room lights, the dining room light, and the entryway light are ALL on.  My neighbors?  One room is lit, max.

Then (Them): "A place for everything and everything in its place.  Things will run so much smoother for you."
Me (Then): "Whatever."
Now: I think each morning I make it out the door only to realize that I have forgotten my purse or phone or ID badge or something else that is important and have to turn off the car and get back in the house, fight the dog at the door and search like a crazy person to find whatever I'm looking for.

Then (Them- especially my mom): "Clean up after yourself.  When you're out of the house, I will tell your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/landlord/neighbor/friend that I raised you to be a better housekeeper and not a slob like this!"
Then (Me): "I have a system.  It looks messy, but I know where everything is.  Besides, when it's my own place, I'll keep it looking nicer."
Now: A notice on my door that my apartment was conducting unit inspections and people would be inside my house for about five minutes led me to stay up until midnight trying to get the house clean so that they wouldn't see the giant pigsty of a house I had going.

Then (Them): "Clean up the kitchen as you go."
Me: "I don't care.  I have to clean it up one way or another, why not wait until I'm all done."
Now: I currently have my meals for the next two weeks cooked up and put in the freezer, but the remnants of that meal are all over the kitchen and I don't really feel like cleaning up now that it's 10:15.

Then (Them): "Keep an eye on the animal food.  Go out and buy some new food before you run out, that way it's not an emergency later."
Then (Me): "Yeah, yeah..."
Now: Twice I have had to do early morning runs to the Wal-Mart store 15 minutes from home so that I could feed my dog before I went to work.

Then (Them): "Take stuff with you when get out of the car."
Then (Me): <eye roll and heavy sigh>
Now: I think I have a rotting banana and banana muffins in the car as well as a take out cup from last week, a travel mug, a water bottle, church bulletins from the 8 Sundays I've been here, a whole bunch of training stuff from work, seashells, a broken crab shell, some pictures of friends, and my beach mat.  Yeah, I try not to park next to my co-workers, ever.

So, as you can see, all their advice giving was for naught.  I didn't listen to them and I turned out ok.  I have a good job and I am living all by myself like a big girl.

<In a hushed tone>: I mean, if I did take their advice, life would be a lot easier, but you'll never hear ME admit that!

Well ladies and gentlemen,  it is about that time where my brain shuts down and I have the vocabulary and writing style of a first grader.  Plus, the 10:45 service at Crossroads always comes sooner than I expect it to.  (And I'm out of dog food again, so I have to run to Wal-Mart early so that Cooper can have breakfast.  Maybe it is time to take some of that advice!)

Good night and don't walk under the oak tree.  (Falling acorns hurt your head.)

No comments:

Post a Comment