Monday, September 10, 2012

The Day the Weather Broke

When I woke up this morning, I knew something wonderful had happened.  I could sense it, I could feel it.  The weather broke.

Back in Ohio, the "weather break" starts in February and carries on little by little through May.  Essentially, there is a nice day or two and then you're back to gray skies, snow, and misery for another few weeks.  Then, finally, after you were just about to give up hope that it would ever be nice again (Ohio's Third Season: Still Winter), spring would come.  It was a build up that seemed to take forever and always left me in a state of frustrated longing for flowers and warm temperatures.  Not so here in the Palmetto State.

Granted, I only have two years (only?!) of experience, but I have sensed a pattern here in South Carolina.  About the time you're cursing high cooling costs and wondering why on earth people ever chose to live in such a miserably hot and humid climate, one special day comes when the weather completely changes, and you realize once again how nothing could be finer than Carolina.  Last year the magical day was September 7, and this year September 10.

Today, I woke up and actually felt like I needed to use my comforter because it was so comfortably chilly in the room.  Cooper was curled up in the closet because he no longer appreciates the cool weather.  I was actually happy and cheery on our morning walk because the air was still, crisp, and fresh.

My good mood was still present as I walked into work.  Usually, I'm making a beeline for the door because it's just downright hot outside, but today I took a semi-leisurely stroll into the clinic.  I was still oohing and aahing over the sensation of "cold."

The inside of the office was just as nice.  Usually the lack of insulation is a pain- like in the winter when the temperature drops to sixty-something and you're convinced the babies are going to turn into Popsicles; or in the summer when you're convinced everyone is going to melt into little puddles that have eyes.  Today, however, the room was a comfortable seventy-four degrees.  Perfect for happy clients and happy Kate.

Lunch was amazing.  I like to be anti-social and sit in my car at lunch.  Actually, I like to sit in my car at lunch so I can get "work" (my freelance stuff) done in peace and occasionally take a nap.  I haven't been able to eat in my car since mid-May.  But today I was, and I did.  I had parked my car in the shade and got to sit back and relax while I enjoyed a few moments of shut-eye while a steady and cool breeze wafted through the car.

Coming home was even better because I got to drive with my windows down.  It's actually not all that wonderful, because most of my drive consists of busy, dirty roads.  But hey, driving with windows down is so relaxing, and it was wonderful to have that freedom again.

As soon as I got home, every window in my house was opened, because there's not much that makes me happier than my house smelling like fresh air.  I sat on my patio and ate dinner while I worked on some more projects.  After dinner, I took Cooper for a long walk.  I actually had to make myself head back home, because it just felt too nice to NOT be outside.

And now, while I'm not sitting outside (curse you, West Nile-laden mosquitoes), I am right in front of my dining room window, watching my sheer blue curtains sway in the breeze, with the dusk sky as a fitting backdrop.  Today, the weather broke, and I am happy again.





No comments:

Post a Comment