Sunday, May 22, 2011

Boredom = Danger

 The fact that I had to leave out 1/4 of the ingredients should have tipped me off.  Starting at the low setting didn't work, but standing in one place turned out to be my biggest mistake.  You would think that in three horrible seconds I would have been able to formulate some plan of action, but instead I just proved to myself yet again that I don't think clearly under pressure.

  Let's rewind to the beginning.  Usually on Saturday I have a few plans for some fun or interesting things to do.  The beach is nice, I occasionally go to garage sales, I have started going to different free events around the area just to get a sense of what goes on around here.  But yesterday I woke up and decided that the first order of business was to pay my bills.  That effectively squashed any plans to go out and shop or even drive more than 10 miles from my house.   I went outside to sit on the patio, but at 9:15 it was already in the mid-seventies and way too humid for my taste.  In that short time frame I became very bored.  I am not one to sit and just stew in my boredom, I can't even really sit at the computer for more than half an hour.  So my first order of business was to finish some of the projects that have been sitting on my "to-do" list for far too long.

  I logged into Pandora and started playing some of my favorite music and began cleaning out my closet.  All I wanted to do was organize the paper I've been throwing in there and make room for my laundry basket again. That turned into a one-and-a-half hour trip down memory lane.  Each time that I get ready to go home, or someone comes to visit me, I start to get all nostalgic.  This time was no exception, as amongst the clothes and Christmas decorations I found all of my scrapbooks.  I immediately created 10 layouts for all the scrapbook pages I need to complete.  Haha.  I've needed to complete those since, well, since three years ago!  Maybe I'll finish that project when I am home!  I also found a scrapbook with the title, "Defying Logic."  There are maybe 5 people in this world who have seen or have read this book.  As always I laughed my way through the pages and all the events that inspired them.  I can't wait to add to these events and memories when I come home. (You know who you are and you know what we have planned!)  The danger here?  Last year there were some flames involved, some flammable liquids, and a ballgame that spilled onto a busy road...you know, the usual.

  So once I was done with that, I decided that I needed a break.  I decided to catch up on all the books I rented from the library.  I had a lot of fun reading "The Darwin Awards."  A few dumb criminal stories always seems to make me laugh.  Unfortunately, "animals" was the theme of the first chapter and I read about twenty stories of people doing dumb things and being killed by snakes.  I am hearing stories about the variety and prevalence of snakes down here, and I am none too pleased!  After I finished a chapter there I moved on to my algebra book.  That's right, algebra.  The other day I decided I was tired of saying, "Oh, I'm not good at math.  Math makes my head hurt.  I just don't understand math."  So I started my 6 week quest to get through this book (I can only borrow the book for six weeks!) I'm not really sure what benefit this will have for my life, other than the fact that I will have broadened my knowledge base.  Just preparing for my future appearance on Jeopardy, I'm sure.  The danger here?  Algebra will probably end up being a "gateway drug" to Geometry.  Plus my brain will hurt some more and I'll likely have nightmares about boa constrictors sometime soon.

   Finally, I decided that a nice, cold mocha would hit the spot.  I had most of the ingredients ready, so I went ahead and made the coffee, some coffee-flavored ice cubes, and even made some homemade chocolate syrup since I was out of Hershey's and didn't feel like driving to Bi-Lo.  I was pretty darn proud of myself.  This is where we pick back up with the beginning of the blog.  I was pouring everything into the cup of my blender when I realized that everything wasn't quite going to fit.  I poured out a little of the milk/coffee mixture and made room for the syrup and sugar, leaving about an inch of clearance.  That was a mistake.  When I turned on the blender I could see the problem starting.  I would have had about a second to turn the blender off and save myself, but all I could think was, "maybe it won't splash."  When the splashing started, I had a few seconds to quickly turn the blender off and minimize the damage, but instead, in my panic I hit the "high speed" button.  Mocha hit the wall, the cabinets, my canister set, the crock I use to hold my kitchen utensils, the floor, the closet door, my houseplant, the sink, and the dishwasher.  IT WENT EVERYWHERE!  As I was dancing around trying to avoid getting hit, Cooper ran over and decided to help with clean up.  Now I had a floor half covered with a sticky chocolate/coffee concoction and also some slobber.  The danger here?  Apparently I don't know how to work a simple drink mixer, let alone a blender.  The good news is it gave me a reason to clean my floor and I got all the mocha cleaned up before it stained anything.  Phew.

  Well, that is all for today folks, since we're heading into Monday I am no longer bored! Quite a few things to be done between now and then.  Included in the festivities?  A trip to the pool, seeing as how it's 84 degrees at 7:30 p.m.  It's a little too warm for me to want to be outside during the day, but the evenings are absolutely gorgeous.  Have a good night all, and to all my Ohio friends, I will see you in forty short days!

No comments:

Post a Comment