Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thank goodness for technology!

An evil idea crept into my mind.  The event was supposed to start at 1:00 p.m.  However, the guests were notorious for being late.  Then of course, you had event set up, which always is hindered by the hostess and the guests jabbering for awhile.  Don't forget to factor in the roadblocks: the pets looking for a treat and the men wandering into the kitchen to try and determine when the food would be available.  There was also a special guest today, who of course would need to be properly greeted.  My past experience with these events, coupled with intelligence I had obtained through text messages received within the previous half hour gave me a very small window to act.  My mission?  Sending my mom a text message that she would receive during the prayer for Easter dinner.

Why such a nefarious scheme?  Why not?!  Since this is my first holiday away from home I felt I had to make my presence known somehow, even if I was 681 miles away!  Unfortunately for me, my timing was a little off and the text message was, and this is quoting my mom, "close though.  You butt.  Next time I see you I will kick you."  

This is why I love technology.  I mean, yes, letter writing is definitely a viable option for communication, and I do enjoy letter writing.   I enjoy the thought and careful planning I have to put into a letter.  Because of course, you have to make sure you don't run out of room and you have to make sure that you don't have too many mistakes!  But, instant communication is SO MUCH FUN!!!

E-Mail:  I don't send a lot of e-mails, but it's a fantastic tool when I am at work and I need to send a message that's too long to text but not really worth waiting all day to recount by phone call when I'm done with work.  Case in point: My co-workers are all intelligent, educated individuals....who lack the ability to properly operate our office's vending machines.  That story was worth an e-mail!

Phone call: Obviously another great method of communication.  Lately, my phone calls seem to take place while I am sitting poolside.  Essentially, after I'm done relaxing in the pool, I sit in the lounge chair and share details about the outisde temperature, the color of the sky during sunset, the fact that it's only April and I was swimming.  You know, not bragging or anything!

Skype:  I love Skype.  I love being able to talk to someone and see them from miles away.  When Aaron was in Okinawa last year we were able to Skype on occasion.  It never ceased to amaze me that I was talking to someone who was 13 hours ahead of us and x-thousand miles away.  I talk to Grandpa Henry on Skype every once in awhile.  I love it!

Text message: I don't really text as much as some people.  For me it's a great means of communication while I'm at work.  In the moments where I have nothing to do, I'll send messages of boredom- "Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!"  Or I'll have random conversations about nothing.  It's also a great way to share snarky comments with people.  Particularly when I HAVE to share something about a crazy person at the store or something my weird neighbors are doing.

Facebook:  Facebook is awesome for touching base.  It's certainly not even close to a replacement for being face-to-face with someone, but seeing as how I can talk to my brother, who is again on the other side of the world, and my sister, who's at college, and all my friends and family back in Medina County, it's a semi-decent substitute!  I always laugh when my brother, sister, and I start having back and forth conversations with each other.  It's like being home again.  I pick on my old co-workers, making sure they don't forget me.  I share quotes from TV shows with the only other person I know who watches that particular show.  I laugh as everyone on my news feed is complaining about the clouds and rain.

Well, I am about ready to draw this medium of communication to a close.  It is 85 degrees, humid, and sunny outside.  I'm going swimming (again).  To my family: I really missed not being able to spend Easter with you, but never fear, 70 days from today I will be in Ohio with you all again! (Can we start planning our 4th of July party now?)   Enjoy the rest of your holiday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment